Edinburgh University | Information Services | Gallery Homepage | Masterpieces | Contact | Search
Gallery - 1900-1949

New College Library


The University and the Library outgrew their buildings in the City centre. The Kings Buildings were established to house the growing Science and Engineering departments and their libraries. New College and the Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Medicine merged with the University as the Faculties of Divinity and Veterinary Medicine, and their Libraries added greatly to the research and teaching collections of the University Library, as did the Reid Music Library.
he private libraries of Aeneas J. G. Mackay, Lord Abercromby of Aboukir and Tullibody, Arthur Berriedale Keith, Sir Donald Tovey and others also added to the Library's research and teaching collections.

List of Benefactors 1900-1949 :

Homepage | Friends of EUL | Recent Donations | Islamic & Middle Eastern
1580-1699 | 1700-1799 | 1800-1899 | 1950-1999 | 2000-

Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all material © The University of Edinburgh
Edinburgh University Logo