Edinburgh University | Information Services | Gallery Homepage | Masterpieces | Contact | Search
Gallery - 1580-1699

Library 1642

Clement Litil's bequest in 1580 founded the Library which became the College Library in 1584. Two major gifts, from William Drummond of Hawthornden (1620s and 1630s), and one more major bequest, from a former Keeper of the Library, the Revd James Nairn (1678), helped establish the Library as a working collection. By 1700 it had become one of the popular attractions for visitors to the City in part, at least, because of the curious and macabre collection of museum objects acquired by William and Robert Henderson, father and son, who between them were Librarians of the College for the 80 years 1667-1747.

List of Benefactors 1580-1699:

Homepage | Friends of EUL | Recent Donations | Islamic & Middle Eastern
1700-1799 | 1800-1899 | 1900-1949 | 1950-1999 | 2000-

Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all material © The University of Edinburgh
Edinburgh University Logo