Edinburgh University | Information Services | Gallery Homepage | Masterpieces | Contact | Search
Gallery - 1800-1899

Upper Library in Old College

The Library moved into the new building, redesigned by William Playfair, in 1827 and including the magnificent Upper (now called the Playfair) Library Hall. Its legal deposit facility was replaced by an annual Treasury grant in 1837. The University expanded, and developed its reputation for the study of medicine and science.
equests by David Laing, James Orchard Halliwell-Phillipps and others established the Library's historical research collections on a firm footing.
ist of Benefactors 1800-1899:

Homepage | Friends of EUL | Recent Donations | Islamic & Middle Eastern
1580-1699 | 1700-1799 | 1900-1949 | 1950-1999 | 2000-

Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all material © The University of Edinburgh
Edinburgh University Logo